(Mis)adventures of converting a stone barn to a dwelling
Home
 

Celing beams!

Getting exciting, after over a year of destruction and scratching round in dirt, we were actually adding things. First the wall then the beams!
First I cut holes periodically along the wall to accept the new beams at a level to match the new wall and proposed final floor heights we had calculated.

FIrst beams going in.

The other side was so easy it was like cheating, they just sat on the new support wall.

beams on new wall

For the beams which fell in awkward places and above doors, we added a single oak beam running from front to back of the house and tied it to the concreted in beams. Because we couldn’t find a 10m long old oak beam in straight condition, I joined two together with what is called a Scarf Joint.
My one and only attempt at old worlde craftsmanship. Came out alright I think.

Scarf joint

Beam running along

beam in position held by acro props

Just to give it a bit more support and strength we added some support posts midway along the run in compression with some bracing.

support beam

We repeated the idea in the last 1/3rd of the house but using concrete filled blocks to support the beams on.

office to be

In that segment we had to change some of the lintels as they had rotted out. Old oak was used for its long lasting qualities.

new lintel

Some of the main wall was crumbling around a rusting wall tie so concrete was hurridly ladled in to shore it back together by removing the bad, making a form and filling the entire crumbling section with reinforced concrete.

original wall tie

Utility room to be, what a nice sign of progress.

utility celing

Pip’s room got these reclaimed beams, which were original old oak. In retrospect they were a pain to work with as they were odd sizes and dimensions, and slightly twisted, but they were strong and too good to waste.

old reclaimed oak beams

There, I’m all beamed out!

May 4, 2009 This post was written by Categories: Building No comments yet


Leave a Reply

Top